Illustration for Dr. David Healy‘s post about the vagaries of diving, fishing and looking for real data in the murky world medicine and pharmaceuticals.
See: April Fool in Harlow: Anecdote Fishing in Harlow
And sure, this is an “April Fool’s” thing, but it’s actually based on some truth… If you want to find out more about the GSK approach to “Open Science” and the “sharing” of research data, you can actually sign up for the GSK Clinical Study data program. Once you’ve signed off off on their legal stuff (caveat emptor), you can request access to their trial data. Currently they have about 220 trials listed… a extremely small fraction of the total trials they’ve done. Your request will be reviewed by independent panel who will decide whether or not you can actually see the data. No promises of course! But why don’t you give it a try… I’ve signed up!
Posters: OpenGSK.pdf, OpenGSK.jpg or OpenGSK.png.
No comments yet.
By Franke James
Map in detail
Link to secret report
Visual Essay Credits
“Hey Mister Prime Minister, What are You Afraid Of?” © 2012 Franke James
Writing and illustration by Franke James (see additional photo credits below).
Transcript: Features quotes from Franke James’ March 3, 2012 interview with Joe Oliver, Federal Minister of Natural Resources.
Franke James is an award-winning artist whose illustrated essays on environmental and social issues have been reviewed and showcased around the world. In November 2011, James’ art show “Banned on the Hill” appeared in Ottawa, around the corner from Parliament Hill. The crowd-funded billboard show protested the silencing of environmental voices by the Harper Government. James is the author of the illustrated book, Bothered by My Green Conscience, and a member of the Writers Union of Canada, PEN Canada and CARFAC. She has a Master of Fine Arts from the University of Victoria and lives in Toronto. For more information see: http://www.frankejames.com. Franke on Twitter: http://twitter.com/frankejames
The Green Party of Canada: Sign the Petition to Stop Bill C-38
Lead Now: Tell Finance Minister Jim Flaherty: Stop the Budget Bill from Selling Out Canada’s Natural Heritage and Economy
Dogwood Initiative: Sign the No Tankers Petition
Avaaz Petition: No Enbridge Tankers/Pipeline in BC Great Bear Rainforest!
Support Environmental Groups: Blackout Speakout on June 4th
Pacific Wild’s Action Tips: Writing Letters to Local and National Newspapers
Thank you to the following organizations for photos and resources:
All Great Bear Rainforest photos © Ian McAllister, Pacific Wild
How did they vote?
Member of Parliament “look up” API technology: How did they vote?
Living Oceans Society
Living Oceans photo: T-Shirt with “I have this Sinking Feeling about Enbridge”
Living Oceans photo of First Nations “We say no to Enbridge” protest
Living Oceans Map of Proposed Tanker Route to Kitimat
Tar Sands Mining Photo: © David Dodge, Pembina Institute
Photo: Suncor upgrader complex adjacent to Athabasca River © 2002 Chris Evans, Pembina
Dogwood Initiative: No-Tankers Loonie decal
Additional photos used with permission
Dr David Schindler photo: Ed Kaiser, Edmonton Journal
Syncrude 2007 -12 photo © 2007 David Dodge, CPAWS
Empire State Building photo © Daniel Schwen, 2008, Wikimedia
Oil Sheen From Valdez Spill photo Wikimedia © NOAA
Dead Oil Covered Birds Photo © Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Trustee Council; Wikimedia.
Selected Background Research:
Oil Sands Pollution, Pipelines and Tankers:
Silencing the Scientists (The Shortlist)
Silencing Franke James
RESEARCH, NEWS AND REPORTS:
- Mike De Souza, PostMedia Feds to cut air pollution monitoring team
- Mike De Souza, PostMedia Federal government could be sued over fisheries reform, minister admits
- Robyn Allan,The TYEE Gateway Designed to Pump Far More Crude than Advertised
- Editorial, The Globe and Mail Ottawa should halt its smear campaign against pipeline detractors
- First Nations UN Complaint: Harper Government Racism on Pipelines Violates International Law
- BBC News article [re: Cree Lake Nation] EU to vote on oil sands pollution
- Andrew Nikiforuk, The TYEE Eleven Oily Questions for Every MP
- Andrew Nikiforuk, The TYEE The Expert’s Report that Damns the Northern Gateway Pipeline
- First Nations Press Release: Enbridge Review: First Nations Accuse Harper Government of Flouting Its Own Laws by Predetermining Outcome of Pipeline Review
- Globe and Mail Meet the ex-Bay Streeter leading Tory charge against oil-sands opponents
- Peter O’Neil, Calgary Herald Natural Resources minister blasts plan to block Northern Gateway pipeline
- Rebecca Penty, Calgary Herald Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver defends regulatory overhaul (Revokes NEB’s power)
- UK Reuters: Jeffrey Jones, Calgary Enbridge’s Gateway pipeline still in legal swamp
- Toronto Star, Tim Harper: Pipeline politics in Canada and U.S. a peril for Stephen Harper
- CBC News Harper warns pipeline hearings could be ‘hijacked’
- Laura Payton, CBC News Radicals working against oilsands, Ottawa says Environment groups ‘threaten to hijack’ system, natural resources minister says
- The Globe and Mail An open letter from Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver
No comments yet.